Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Be careful not to bruise the Chardonnay Muffy



It must be a sign we’re well on our way to yuppie-dom; my wife and I are really getting into wine.

I can even pinpoint how it all started; with a bottle of Chateau Cantemerle. A “barely above average” wine, according to critics, but liquid velvet to my palate. I remember exclaiming that I finally understood why some wines cost so much.

Since then I’ve become a bit of a wine geek; reading the Accidental Connoisseur, leafing through copies of the Wine Spectator and sticking my nose into every glass I meet.

My wife and I are even planning a trip to Napa next month. We hope to tour the family-owned Truchard Vineyards, having discovered their sublime 2000 Pinot Noir earlier this year.

Now to add to my wannabe oenophilism comes Grape Radio, a podcast produced out of Orange County, Calif. The shows feature interviews with vintners, collectors and other aficionados with the intent of helping people like me, who couldn’t tell their ass from their Amarone, better appreciate and understand the world of wine.

Listening to the podcasts, you get the feeling some of these people are just as characteristic as the wines they produce. The Arcadian Winery’s Joe Davis recounts this old saying about two popular varietals:

"Cabernet will rape you and pinot noir seduces you. ... Cabernet will throw you down and rip your clothes off, and pinot noir subtly convinces you to take them off yourself."

It’s the kind of pronouncement you’d expect from Miles in Sideways.

Ever the quick one, my wife had the perfect response:

“So is Merlot the one you feel shameful about the next day?”

(Thanks to Slate for this one.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Airhead said...

That is fabulous. I'm a very underdeveloped wine geek, but I love it anyway. I pretend like I know what I'm doing, and my friends believe me. And I think your wife's response was money :-)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Keltie said...

You guys will have a blast in Napa. I am by no means a wine snob, I just drink what I like. A wine that you don't enjoy drinking is a waste of money whether it costs $5 or $300!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home